Hands-On With Acer's New 10-Inch Android Tablet

timothy posted more than 3 years ago | from the temptinger-every-day dept.

Handhelds 159

adeelarshad82 writes "Earlier this week Acer unveiled three new tablets, two for Android and one for Windows. Unfortunately details on the devices were slim, including their names. According to a hands-on with the 10-inch Android tablet, the device is about half-inch thick and weighs slightly more than an iPad. It's currently running an unknown Android version but according to the Acer executives the tablets will be running Google's tablet version of Android, Honeycomb. The tablet has no front-facing buttons. The side includes a power button, lock button, an SD slot and a docking port for full-sized keyboard dock. The device also includes two cameras, front and back, resolutions details of which are still unknown. There's also a mini HDMI port for playing content on HDTVs. The tablets are powered by Nvidia Tegra 2 CPU which gives it the edge when it comes to graphics."

Whoa... (-1, Offtopic)

fishexe (168879) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334382)

...first post??? Is this an alternate universe?

Re:Whoa... (1)

fishexe (168879) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334420)

Looks like a nice device, but the screen is too shiny. I wouldn't be able to see anything on it. Still holding out for my Adam (or Lattice, whichever becomes non-vaporware first).

Re:Whoa... (1)

AnonymousClown (1788472) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334474)

It's the headline. If it were "Acer's New 10" Andriod Tablet Proves to be a better alternative to the overpriced Apple iPad" then, you'd see a lot more comments.

Re:Whoa... (2, Funny)

fishexe (168879) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334624)

Also, if they had found a way to work in the word "tits".

Re:Whoa... (1)

Lumpy (12016) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335218)

Yet the Acer will cost as MUCH as a ipad...

IT will rock if it has a 1.5ghz processor. anything less than 1ghz is dog slow on an android tablet. I also hope they do not end up stupid and cripple it with a low amount of ram.

Both of those make almost all the current android tablets suck bad.

Re:Whoa... (1)

Enderandrew (866215) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336104)

Older builds of Android have a file system bug that causes really slow ext3 performance. The Cynogen Mod actually fixes this bug and helps with performance.

The problem is everyone shipping old verisons of Android coupled with crap-ware included that is often running in the background all the time.

Someone could put out a new, fast and clean build of Android to deliver a nice tablet experience. Sadly no one has.

Re:Whoa... (1, Funny)

...first post??? Is this an alternate universe?

If first post says "first post", then it's the same old annoying universe as it ever was.

If you'd said something intelligent, that might have indicated an alternate universe.

I don't care (3, Funny)

Does it have 3G and the wifis?

Re:I don't care (0)

Also, how much does it weigh, whats the battery life, price?

Re:I don't care (0)

Don't care about the 3g -- my phone has that. As long as it has wifi + bluetooth, that is good enough. I can use bluetooth to get to my phone's 3g.

What's more interesting is the slew of no-name-brand and semi-brand Android tablets coming out, mostly in the $200 to $300 range. Such as the Nook Color (they call it an enhanced ebook reader, but it is really a tablet). Also interesting is the Wistech A81e tablet.

Re:I don't care (0, Redundant)

tom17 (659054) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335944)

I want the one with the bigger gee bees.

It's the apps, stupid (2, Interesting)

BadAnalogyGuy (945258) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334470)

Back when Bill Clinton was running for President, his campaign advisor James Carville stated in the plainest terms possible the best reason for voting for Bill over Bush, "It's the economy, stupid"

Now we have a choice between the iPad and this Android device. Both have fine featuresets, but what it all comes down to is what you can run on them. It's the apps, stupid. Which one has a richer appstore? Which one has the apps you're looking for? Which one has a large, dedicated application developer community?

I think we all know the answer to those questions. As much as it pains us to say, Apple has done those things very well while the Android market has floundered helplessly. So count my vote for Apple, because at the end of the day I want to get my work done, not just play around with a shiny toy.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (0, Insightful)

They are both toys, I highly doubt you're "working" on either.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (0, Troll)

Dr. Spork (142693) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334626)

Re:It's the apps, stupid (0)

I stream all sorts of video files from my home network to my iPad. Mkv, avi, mpg4, etc.

Have you ever used an iPad?

Re:It's the apps, stupid (4, Informative)

pushing-robot (1037830) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334772)

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/12/tuaw-faceoff-streaming-video-on-the-ipad-with-air-video-and-str/ [tuaw.com]

The iPad has had video streaming apps since the damn thing was released. Maybe you should actually try one (or spend five seconds googling) before you proclaim its shortcomings?

Re:It's the apps, stupid (-1, Troll)

Plenty of streaming apps...if you pony-up the 'Apple Tax' and start flexing your credit card. The Acer has it right from the start (or even free - gasps from the Apple fanbois expected).

Re:It's the apps, stupid (2, Insightful)

GreatDrok (684119) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334794)

"Correct, but this toy does something very entertaining that the iPad can't, which is to stream and display video from the home network."

Funny, one of the main uses I have for my iPad is to stream video from my iTunes box. Sure, it's an app I bought called Air Video but it can do it and Apple is rumoured to be developing the AppleTV interface for the iPad too. It's a bit strong to say it can't do it when it clearly can although I'll concede that Apple should provide a solution themselves that works with iTunes directly. Mind you, Air Video also allows me to stream Flash video files directly to the iPad since the server side can convert them into h.264 so that works pretty well and I'll likely keep it around even if Apple provides a more direct video streaming solution for iTunes.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (2, Informative)

grub (11606) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335030)

There's a great app called AirVideo which streams everything I've thrown at it. It's a measly $2.99 IIRC.

Server runs on your Windows/Mac/Linux box and you connect to it with the iDevice.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

EEPROMS (889169) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335950)

So when I go to a meeting I have to take my iPAD and a Windows server to show my slides/video on the projector via it's HDMI port ? I dare say an already built in HDMI port would be father easier..

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

EEPROMS (889169) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335964)

father=far

Re:It's the apps, stupid (0, Offtopic)

jo_ham (604554) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335532)

"Informative"

What are the mods smoking?

Oh wait, this is slashdot.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (0)

What are the mods smoking?

It's more like Kool Aid.

You can make up any old bullshit about Apple products nowadays and it will get modded insightful by some troll who has decided that all things Apple are evil.

Certainly, something as factually inaccurate as the GP gets a free pass.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (4, Insightful)

gstoddart (321705) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334846)

They are both toys, I highly doubt you're "working" on either.

Have many people replaced their main work machine entirely with an iPad or similar tablet? Not likely.

Can you actually do work with them? Absolutely. I've used mine to read huge (~ 1000 page) PDF documents away from my desk, and I've also responded to work emails from an airport using wifi. I've also used some mind-mapping type apps to collect my notes for some projects, and documents I put into my dropbox folder are available to me. I've got a reader for wikipedia which keeps everything it reads offline, so I have a bunch of tech references (and a bunch of other stuff) cached for offline access. Heck, I've got a webex client, remote desktop, telnet, some javadocs ...

I'll even give you "toy", but I prefer "portable entertainment system and light internet appliance" ... on two business trips now I've brought my iPad. Which, in addition to allowing me to read my email in airports and hotel lobbies, also gives me games, movies, books, and loads of other things when when I'm stuck in airplanes or in my hotel room. Heck, I can sit in the hotel bar after work with a martini and read google news, check in with the wife via email, and check my calendar *and* checkout nearby restaurants with UrbanSpoon. Sure, I could do that with my laptop, but it's far less convenient (and, my work laptop has wifi disabled as a security measure, so I'd actually need to be plugged into both wire and power to do it).

For the most part, I'm not hearing people claim to have chucked their laptop/desktop in favor of a tablet. That doesn't mean that the things people do with it don't have value to them. Trust me, on a one week business trip ... my iPad is as important to me as my laptop is -- it actually gets more use than the laptop. It lets me cover about 85% of the things I'd use my laptop for, and a bunch of things that I wouldn't want to use my laptop for. (I've tried watching movies on a laptop in a hotel room, and it sucked. Something I can hold like a book and sit in a comfy chair or lay in the bed is awfully nice.)

Trust me, the utility of an iPad is far more than my ability to "work". I'm not going to use it to compile code, run a web server, or generate SQL queries with it. But, I place a high value on the things it does allow me to do, and the way in which I can do them. That fact that it's small and lightweight, has a huge battery life, and will connect to anywhere with free wifi makes it far more convenient than a laptop. Given the size and weight, there are just certain contexts where I'd just as soon have both my iPad and my laptop -- I will use the iPad more, but if I *really* need to dig out the big gun, it's there.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (3, Interesting)

$1uck (710826) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334594)

The apps will come. I have an iPad, I'll most likely pick up the 7" acer tablet when it's out. I'm not super impressed with any of the apps on the iPad. Given time I believe the number apps available for android will surpass the number available for the iPad. I'm not sure how you decided the "android market has floundered", and when you asked your trio of questions I really didn't know the answer to your questions. So maybe you need to go ahead and rethink your position.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

peragrin (659227) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335726)

The numbers of apps for andriod will surpass the ipad easily. however since only about 30% of those apps will be available to any given device that metric doesn't really work. between non updating versions of android, (compare the number of iphone 3G users running IOS 2.0 against the number of early model android phones running 1.5 or 1.6) and the heavily fragmented nature of android hardware( tegra, arm, intel, all can't run the same software.

Then stop to wonder if Oracle wins even half of it's google/android lawsuit then all Android software will stop.

I have been waiting 9 months for someone to finally copy the ipad's hardware and install android 2.2 on it. I am still waiting. No one seems to be coming close. The Galaxy tab isn't bad the interface lags.( I have been testing demo units untill the wifi version is released). The one with real promise is Notion ink adam. but that seems to be never ending vaporware.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (3, Interesting)

Daetrin (576516) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334666)

"As much as it pains us to say, Apple has done those things very well while the Android market has floundered helplessly. So count my vote for Apple, because at the end of the day I want to get my work done, not just play around with a shiny toy."

I think you just made an, um, bad analogy. The Android market has tons of productivity apps. It has tons of shopping apps. It has tons of fitness apps. The only kinds of apps it's seriously lacking in right now are games. And it actually does have a lot of games, it's just missing a lot of the high profile games that have become popular on iPhone. If you want to be playing "Game Dev Story" or "Cut the Rope" or "Super Mega Worm" or the latest Squenix game then you need to have an iPhone (for now at least.) If you're okay with fun but not as popular games then you can have just as good a time with Android.

So the iPhone is what you want if you just want to play around with a shiny toy. If you just want to get your work done then either will do.

Android without Market (2, Insightful)

tepples (727027) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335014)

Are these only on the Market, or are they also available as .apk files for devices without official access to the Market? As of right now, Android media players (e.g. Archos) and Android tablets without 3G tend to come without Market access.

Re:Android without Market (1)

drinkypoo (153816) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335174)

ITYM most [intomobile.com] Archos tablets.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

node 3 (115640) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335382)

The way you described games is pretty much applicable to the other types of apps you listed. I would be amazed if even half of the non-game apps on my iPad or iPhone are available for Android. The only category that I'm aware of where Android is pretty close to iOS in this regard is music streaming apps, and even there it lags, but it at least has most of the main ones that come to mind.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (3, Insightful)

dAzED1 (33635) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335494)

err...if you have 50,000 music streaming apps for ipad, and 500 music streaming apps for android, but the top 10 work about the same...
...then guess what. They're equal. The "music streaming" role has been satisfied. You're not going to be using 50,000 of them at once, anyway.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (0, Flamebait)

peragrin (659227) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336146)

um the is slashdot home of OSS, where if you don't have 50,000 kinds of any application then you don't have enough variation to figure out which is the best app. Because in OSS if you don't like it you fork it and try again and then let it die when it becomes work.

So by that very definition the 50,000 ipad apps are superior even if they suck. As choice is always superior to non choice.

Which is funny because android is supposed to promote choice while apple limits choice, however there are more choices to make your tablet useful with apple than with android.

Now I shall be modded into oblivion.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (2, Insightful)

Daetrin (576516) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335674)

I'd certainly be interested to see a list of what you consider to be key non-game apps, but i guess there was kind of an underlying assumption that i didn't bother to clarify in my post. Unless you are migrating from one system to another, no one really cares which particular productivity app they use, they only care if it does its job well. I don't care how awesome the Mac proprietary office suite is, OpenOffice works fine for me on my PC. I know my old fitness app had both iPhone and Android versions. When they started requiring access to contact info because they wanted to integrate with Facebook i switched to a different app, and i don't care if this new app is on the iPhone or not, it does what i want it to do.

But stereotypes aside, gaming is a much more social activity. I'm sure there was an "Angry Birds" clone on Android long before the real thing came over. It could even have been just as good as the original game in its own way. But everyone was still eager to pick up the real Angry Birds game when it was available because they wanted to play the same game everyone else was talking about. They wanted to talk to their friends about it, or beat their friends' scores, or were just curious to see what the buzz was about, or whatever. No one (okay, almost no one =) runs up to their friends shouting "i just found this amazing new spreadsheet program on my phone! You have to try it out!"

For any kind of productivity app all that's needed is functional parity. For games or social apps however everyone is going to want whatever the cool new thing is. And for the moment at least the iPhone has the lion's share of the cool new things. Particularly with games, since games are so much harder to port/simultaneously develop than the social apps are.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1, Funny)

bonch (38532) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335022)

You don't understand. This is Slashdot. That means quality isn't a consideration. Instead, the following factors are what determines success:

1.) Is it open source? I'll never compile it in my life, but I just have to know if others can do it for me.
2.) Does it run Linux? It must run Linux.
3.) Can I install anything I want? Basically, I want to pirate ROMs and other warez.
4.) Can I use Flash? People here have always mocked the use of Flash on websites, but when Apple decided not to support it on their mobile devices for performance reasons, Flash became important to me all of a sudden.
5.) Is it by Google? If it's by Google, it's automatically amazing to me. Google can do no wrong on Slashdot. The Google Street View van is sitting outside scanning my emails right now, but that's okay because Flash is currently running on my tablet! Hang on, it just crashed.
6.) Does it clone the iPad look and feel? I bash Apple products all the time, but the alternatives I use are mimics of those Apple products. All smartphones today resemble iPhones. Don't point this out to me, or I'll vote down your comment.
7.) Does it make me feel cool? I'm way too cool and independent to use an Apple product. I'm just going to stand here with all the other cool Android users who are way too cool for Apple users. Haha, those sheep.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (-1, Flamebait)

Yvan256 (722131) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335300)

I don't have any mod points right now, so I'm writing this to give you several million informative points.

In fact, your post should go in a "how to post on Slashdot" wiki page or something.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (4, Insightful)

aztracker1 (702135) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335442)

I can't speak for anyone else, but will address the points with the following prefixes... I refuse to spend another dime on AT&T service, ever. I'll start buying Sony products again long before I use AT&T. After owning several devices with bugs, only to discover they are no longer supported, or locked down in such a way that I can't use them in a way that's convenient to me as a user (like use an mp3 file as a ring tone, or download the opera mobile browser, not speaking specifically to apple here), I prefer devices with the potential for end-user support.

1) I don't care if I'll never compile it... as long as there's support for it, I'm happier in 2-3 years when the vendor isn't supporting the device, I can get updates. (Froyo on my G1, though sluggish, works).

2) I don't care... specifically Linux isn't *THE* end all/be all for embedded devices, and there are other similar OSes available that are equally/more open source.

3) Not just ROMs, but anything the company/vendor feels like making unavailable to artificially protect their other channels, or after they drop support for said device. Dropped support tends to happen very quickly on portable devices.

4) Really don't care too much on this... flash on mobile, especially smaller devices is a waste imho... though not being able to play videos is annoying at best.

5) Google has earned a reputation for delivering quality options with far fewer quirks than other companies. This comes at two costs: a. less feature rich, though what they do offer is solid. and b. google tends to do a lot of data mining, which raises some privacy concerns. As long as you are aware of A, and B I don't see the problem.

6) I don't bash apple for their design decisions (often), I happen to like aspects of Windows 7 *AND* OSX... though I think the applications for those platforms is where the differences come into play a bit more... To me, what keeps me from iOS devices is the artificial lock down regarding being able to side-load applications (I am the great and powerful JOBS, and all apps must go through me, giving me my cut). I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I won't spend my money there... I do own a Macbook.

7) kind of, yes... I can tinker, and my cool toy can do things your cool toy can't... I can do wifi tethering with my phone... For the most part, that was the single biggest selling point for my device is that there was 3rd party dev support, active 3rd party firmware, and the ability to utilize the hardware how *I* see fit.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (4, Insightful)

NitroWolf (72977) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335050)

Which one has a richer appstore? Which one has the apps you're looking for?

Which one has a large, dedicated application developer community?

Again... the answer is both.

I think we all know the answer to those questions.

Well, if I understand what you were trying to imply correctly, it appears you do not actually know the answer to those questions, so you are thinking incorrectly that we all know the answer, since you don't...

Wow... so can you tell me what work you can get done on an iPad (or maybe you're talking about an iPod Touch or an iPhone), because I have an iPod Touch and an iPad and I can't get any real work done on either of them. Not because they are crappy devices, or lack applications, or what have you... but because they aren't built for getting work done. They are built to be shiny entertainment devices, not workhorses. You might *think* you are getting work done on your little iPhone or iPad, but you're not - because it's nigh impossible to be truly productive on the incredibly restrictive iPad (the keyboard on iOS alone would prevent you from doing anything more than hobbling around like an injured bird), not to mention the smaller iPhone or iPod. Then there's the whole problem of the iPad lacking any sort of useful input mechanisms.

But I digress... your entire statement is ridiculous in the extreme. If the Android market is floundering (which I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with you) the Apple Market is in the same boat. There is absolutely NOTHING in the Apple market that is compelling over the Android Market. I use both extensively, you sound like you are an Apple Fanboi, so I doubt you've actually used an Android based device for any length of time. I think the key take away here is that Android is more flexible and modern than iOS is currently (and likely will ever be) and that is going to be it's advantage, now and in the future. The Android market may be fragmented and may continue to fragment further, and while that has some drawbacks, the gains far outweigh the drawbacks... which is are already seeing in the form of how fast Android devices are taking off compared to Apple. Unless Apple does something drastic with iOS in the not to distant future, they are going to go back to and remain a niche market. I think this is actually fine with Apple, so I don't expect them to be in any race to improve iOS and bring it up to the standards of a modern day OS. Apple is and always has been fine with having a tiny slice of the pie and then charging through the nose for their curated slice.

If that's what floats your boat, fine. But there's nothing there at present and nothing in the future that makes Apple a superior choice any longer. iOS is, has always been and will likely always continue to be a shiny toy (although it's kind of a dull toy now), it's not meant to be productive. Will Android become a productive workhorse? Heck, I don't know, but trying to claim that iOS is one is a total joke. I can get far more done in an Android environment than I can in an iOS one and I don't consider the Android a productive environment, either.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (2, Interesting)

sootman (158191) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335820)

>> Which one has a richer appstore? Which one has the apps you're looking for?

> Umm, both have the same apps? Seriously, besides a handful of high profile games, what does Apple have that Android doesn't?

For the answer, see here [daringfireball.net] and here. [scobleizer.com]

Let's sort all Android apps into the following categories:

1. Apps from Google.
  2. Third-party apps that also exist on iOS.
  3. Third-party apps that are exclusive to Android.

From my time spent with the Nexus One early this year, I know that Google's Android apps are pretty good. These include both the core system apps, and the closed-source "Google Experience" apps like the dedicated Gmail client and Google Maps.

There are definitely a fair number of apps in the second category -- those ported to both iOS and Android. Examples: Amazon's Kindle client, Pandora, and a few popular games, such as Angry Birds and Doodle Jump.

But what I find striking is that the apps in the third category -- those exclusive to Android -- are almost entirely unappealing or irrelevant to iOS users.

That's not to say there's nothing in Android, as a system, that appeals to iPhone owners. Built-in turn-by-turn navigation on certain models. A system-wide notification system. Widgets on the homescreen. Over-the-air system updates. Unrestricted background processing for third-party apps, battery-life be damned. But those are things that are built into the system itself, or which otherwise come from Google. What I'm questioning is the strength and depth of Android's third-party developer support.

Which are the apps, from developers other than Google, that I should feel like I'm missing out on because I don't have an Android device? Where are the killer apps for Android?

Turn the table and we could be here all day running down the list of high-quality, interesting apps which are exclusive to iOS.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

Buelldozer (713671) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335054)

Seriously,

What "apps" is Android missing? I work in the I.T. Industry and I've been carrying a Moto Droid since last December. I have yet to find anything that I need for work _or_ play that isn't available. So please give some examples of all these apps that Android is missing.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

rwa2 (4391) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336236)

I'm fairly happy with my HTC Slide running CyanogenMOD.
But it still hasn't replaced my PalmTX

Um, here's some other guy's blog entry who articulated it much better than I could:
http://jaredrobinson.com/blog/rewinding-from-immature-android-to-mature-palmos/ [jaredrobinson.com]

(eventually he ended up somewhat satisfied with one of the newer iPod touches... I'll probably go the other way and install Debian on my phone)
The Linux Installer app didn't complete successfully on my device, but hopefully I'll have better luck following the ARM debootstrap procedure from:
http://www.android-devs.com/?p=152 [android-devs.com]

If the damn thing was just a computer... (2, Insightful)

maillemaker (924053) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335126)

If the damn thing was just a computer, who would care about a fucking "app store"???

I don't go buy my PC based on writes software for it. Is this like 1975 when the hardware was thrown in for free to get you locked into their software?

Re:If the damn thing was just a computer... (0)

Are you KIDDING? "My software wont run on it" is the CLASSIC, decades old argument against Macs & Linux & Other OS.
Are you really buying into the smoke and mirrors "the PC is going away because of the web" bullshit? Do you really think the software market is going away?
Wake up man.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

hedwards (940851) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335170)

Citation necessary. Android has hardly floundered. Apart from a few things that pretty much just Apple fanbois seem to want, very little is available on the iPhone which isn't available on Android. And considering how Apple has treated the developers I'd be surprised if that lasts long.

Seriously, you make it sound like there's some sort of shortage of developers working on the Android platform. And I'd have to point out that Android has attracted a pretty vibrant community considering how much shorter its time on the market has been. It's in phones, tablets hell even my Nook using Android as its OS.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (2, Interesting)

peragrin (659227) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336234)

There is a major shortage of developers for android. that is why HTC doesn't support any phone for more than 6 months old and 3/4 of their product line recieves nothing but basic updates to the OS.

Seriously name more than 1 android phone that recieves regular updates from the vendor for the software. You can't do it. after 6-9 months they all stop allowing updates.

Apple gives you 2-3 years everyone else gives you the middle finger.

I want an android phone, but i really don't want to have to root, and then install my own updates because some vendor is cheap.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (3, Insightful)

mikelieman (35628) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335418)

Can you take this iPad, plug it into a USB jack on any PC, and copy over whatever files you want?

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

X.25 (255792) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335550)

Obviously, everyone is you.

Noone cares who you vote for. Hope it helps.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

hey! (33014) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335884)

WTF? I have an iPod touch and an Android phone, and I can honestly say that "not enough apps" hasn't been my experience on Android at all.

I'd characterize the difference between the app stoes this way. There's no question that Apple's store has *more* apps, but in terms of *useful* apps there's not much practical difference between them. I think my one or two very favorite apps are on iOS; I particularly like a version of WordNet that not only has the definitions, but the whole/part (e.g. hand to finger) more general/more specific (e.g. disease/malignancy) links. I really wish that something like this was available on Android.

Among the very best apps, I think there is a slight edge in polish to the ios apps. On the other hand, there are certain things that apps aren't allowed to do in the Apple world that I'd like them to. I can buy non-DRM MP3s from Amazon in several Android apps, which of course isn't possible on any Apple ios device. You have to through Apple's iTunes store.

I often have both devices on me, and if you don't count Apple's own iTunes and video apps I'd say 90% of my app use is on Android. In part that's just habit, in part it is functionality allowed in Android but not ios. When I need a thesaurus or a graphing calculator, I go for the iPod because the best apps I've found for those happen to be on ios.

Your experience may be different, of course. There may be that one app you absolutely have to have which currently is only on ios; or it may be the other way around. But my experience suggests to me that if forced to choose between an Android phone and an iPhone, I could live with either and not miss the other. I'd ditch the iPod touch today except I'd lose access to all my Apple movie and music purchases (which is another kettle of fish right there).

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

CaptScarlet22 (585291) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335892)

I actually agree with this pretty much...Looking at the market on my Droid X, I find that the presentation of the apps absolutely HORRIBLE compared to the IOS App store. Where is the "What's Hot" section??? How long has Gmail been on the "Top Free" list??? How about a Staff Favorites section??? How about screenshots of the app that doesn't fucking flip when you try at look at them landscape???

Games?? HAHAH....People talk about fart apps on IOS, how about puzzle games on the Andriod....holy crap...can there by anymore??? Thanks for Angry Bird at least!

Android "isn't all that" folks....it kinda...MEH to me....

Re:It's the apps, stupid (2, Insightful)

hey! (33014) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335928)

I have to say that other than games, you've just named the things I like *least* about the iTunes store. I don't give a fig what apps the staff likes, and I *really* hate the way iTunes wants to steer your purchases to what they think is (or want to be) hot.

Re:It's the apps, stupid (1)

martas (1439879) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336122)

http://xkcd.com/644/ [xkcd.com] It's the hardware/price, stupid. "The rest is software".

Acer tablets out less than a week (0)

Acer tablet out less than a week, now lets all think up something negative to say about it ..

Re:Acer tablets out less than a week (1)

countSudoku() (1047544) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334892)

It lacks USB? Other than that, I'll be eying this pad as a possible iPod Touch replacement. The Pod is losing its 'Touch' as the battery starting to show its age(1st gen from 2008), as well as the OS and lame app store nonsense. Android device with SD slot is for me! Storing files on an iPod or iPad is fucking WEAK and endlessly cumbersome, it's just not a proper computing device and the crap store makes it even shittier.

No USB == DESIGN FAIL (0)

Epic design fail.

Re:No USB == DESIGN FAIL (0)

Epic design fail.

Besides the fact that you're a whiny idiot, why is this an epic fail?

I have yet to think "gee, I need to plug a USB drive into my iPad".

Re:No USB == DESIGN FAIL (0)

> Besides the fact that you're a whiny idiot, why is this an epic fail?

I can think of a TON of things it would be awesome to plug into this thing with USB, especially when you have a customizable OS:

* Keyboard
* Mouse
* Flash drive
* Audio interface
* Video digitizer
* Turntable
* Reading light
* Second NIC
* Price scanner
* Credit card scanner

That's just off the top of my head. If you think USB isn't useful for a tablet... well, it takes an idiot to know one.

Re:No USB == DESIGN FAIL (0)

Or, just use the friggin' bluetooth in it and add a keyboard if you need.

And, seriously ... who is going to need to hook a turn-table up to an iPad and for what? And WTF would I need a reading light on a device with a lighted screen? Fuck, I can get a flashlight app if I needed one why would I drain my battery with a night-light?

A second NIC? Credit card-scanner? Price scanner? Just how many fucking people do you think will ever hook that kind of stuff up to a tablet?

The whole point of a tablet is it's portability -- tethering it to a bunch of wires kinda defeats the whole point, no?

Oh, I see, you want to be able to install Linux on it and do a bunch of obscure things -- not because you need to, but so you can tell all of your cool friends at your LAN party how you managed to interface your fridge with your r00ted iPad that now runs HURD?

You're just not describing how people would actually use a tablet computer. You're describing a desktop.

Acer lacks USB ? (0)

'It lacks USB?`

"Powered by an Nvidia Tegra 2 CPU, the tablet has some serious graphics chops. We saw it play a 3D game during the on-stage demo and then watched as it effortlessly handled 1080p HD video streaming from a nearby Acer laptop. Both devices feature DLNA-enabled Clear.fi, Acer's new WiFi-based content streaming and sharing technology. Acer execs said Clear.Fi. will help users create a "personal cloud." link [pcmag.com]

Sorry, back to the crib sheet fellas .. :)

not the first time (0, Troll)

larry bagina (561269) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334510)

The TSA has been hands on with 10-inchers for a while.

racial profiling? (0)

I suspect it is even uncommon for them to get hold of a 7". I suspect the average person will be packing a unit just a little bit smaller. But 4.8" will just make you a laughing stock.

Wait, what were you talking about? I was thinking about a 6" eBook.

Re:not the first time (0)

I see the TSA has something in common with your mom.

That last line (1)

Monkeedude1212 (1560403) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334512)

Sure, it might have "The Edge" - but that doesn't mean its always a good thing.

No, I'm not a fan of Apple, I don't own any of their products (though I'm forced to support a few Macs at work).

But when Epic showed their Unreal Engine working on an iPhone - well - thats when I realized that they hit a target that will appeal to most people. I imagine getting it to run was probably more ingenuity on Epic's part and not so much Apple Engineers - but regardless, developers wanting to make rich 3D Applications can now license and leverage that technology on the App Store. Now - the costs for developing and the chances your app gets rejected are all reasons not to develop for the iDevices but thats an entirely different discussion; Strictly hardware speaking, if you get it to run on an iPad you can then feel comfortable it'll run on a new Acer Tablet.

So - I aim my app to work on a slightly lower end device knowing I won't be pushing any limits when I want to port it to the other popular options. As opposed to making an App to run on the Acer Tablet but then finding it a bit slow on an iPad - that's not what I, as a developer, want. I don't want exclusives, that means I'm shunning a portion of my audience.

scalable graphics engines are old hat (1)

OrangeTide (124937) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334744)

Unreal Engine works on beefer systems too. It's a sliding scale that is easy for developers to configure. Maybe these apps will get higher framerates or high resolutions when ran on some devices.
Besides if you have to port your app to Android instead of iOS, it seems reasonable to also optimize it for the Android devices out there rather than hold back to what the Apple A4 can do.

Re:That last line (2, Insightful)

$1uck (710826) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334784)

I don't see "rich 3d" games being that big of a deal on a tablet. The interface just isn't conductive to playing a game in 3 dimensions at least it doesn't seem that way to me. The most successful games that I'm aware of seem to be more along the lines of Plants vs Zombies, Angry birds, and various tower defense games.

Re:That last line (1)

JackieBrown (987087) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335596)

People said (and still say) the same about the game-pad controller versus a keyboard and mouse.

Re:That last line (0)

And they said the same thing about using a bullhorn to play Starcraft. What's your point?

Re:That last line (2, Insightful)

samkass (174571) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335492)

Sure, it might have "The Edge" - but that doesn't mean its always a good thing.

"The Edge" over what, anyway? These devices aren't going to ship for 3-5 months, by which time they'll be competing against iPad2 and who-knows-what. The fact that the specs are even comparable to this past year's machine kind of indicates it won't have "the edge" in performance over anything.

Re:That last line (0)

I don't think you understand - "The Edge" (yes, the guitarist from U2) actually wrote the graphics driver. He's not only a competent (if uninspired) guitar player, but also a programmer who only misses his deadlines by a few days. Generally, we're satisfied with his performance so far...

Cost? (2, Insightful)

Conspiracy_Of_Doves (236787) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334522)

How much is it going to cost?

Also, 16:9? Shit! Should be 16:10

Re:Cost? (1)

$1uck (710826) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334618)

According to the specs I saw the aspect ratio was 16:10 enough pixels to push 720p and have 80 pixels left over.

Aerosmith (0)

"And I whip out my big 10-inch"....

Thats where I jumped to when I read the headline. Just wanted to share.

Why android? (4, Insightful)

Keruo (771880) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334792)

Where are Maemo/Meego tablets?
Why is everyone pushing android for tablets when even the original author [engadget.com] says it's not designed for that purpose.
Maemo & Meego are opensource and free, and they are designed to be used on tablets.

Re:Why android? (2, Insightful)

RyuuzakiTetsuya (195424) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334908)

Where's the application infrastructure? Third parties, distribution, OS drivers, etc?

With MeeGo, it's not there. Not for MeeGo specific apps.

Re:Why android? (0)

The 'OS drivers' are part of the kernel. Android and MeeGo both use the Linux kernel, hence they share drivers. The infrastructure is there, it just sucks for other reasons.

Re:Why android? (1)

Microlith (54737) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335012)

Who knows. If Acer is willing to provide their own stores they should have no problem supporting MeeGo. It may have more to do with the fact that there's no reference UI they can be lazy and make minor modifications to before pushing it out.

Re:Why android? (0)

bonch (38532) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335066)

Better question--why do techies think normal people give a shit if a tablet OS is "open source and free?"

Re:Why android? (1)

hedwards (940851) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335232)

We don't, we just don't want to go over to fix computers belonging to people like you only, to find out that there is no patch that fixes the problem and that anything short of replacement if futile.

Re:Why android? (2, Interesting)

drinkypoo (153816) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335200)

What does it mean for an operating system to be designed for tablets? Who cares who puts input events onto the queue and who services them so long as it happens?

Re:Why android? (1)

BoberFett (127537) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335684)

I've wondered this myself. These tablets are just large smartphones with the phone hardware. How can it not be "designed for tablets"?

Re:Why android? (1)

BoberFett (127537) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335704)

Errr, that should say "without the phone hardware."

Re:Why android? (1)

falsified (638041) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335552)

If this is running Honeycomb, the version of Android designed for tablets, then we should be okay.

Hey, look, TFS says it's running Honeycomb!

More seriously, I'd imagine the reason they're choosing Android is that more people in the US are familiar with that OS. I've never seen Maemo in my life except for online screenshots, and I've spent more than my share of time puttering around in cell phone stores (I'm from the US).

Re:Why android? (2, Informative)

farble1670 (803356) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336274)

that article refers to android 2.2. android 3.0 is specifically designed with tablets in mind and is targeted for early next year. most vendors are waiting for 3.0 before joining the tablet race.

maybe because nobody knows what the heck maemo / meego / moblin are therefore wouldn't buy a tablet based on something they've never heard of. i'm just saying ...

This is absurd! Version unknown to who? (1)

bogaboga (793279) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334818)

So which is which? The version of Android is unknown to who? If it were unknown to the author, he should have said so. Otherwise news snippets like these add to the notion that there is chaos [scobleizer.com] in Android's ecosystem, which is incorrect.

making up for some bad karma (3, Informative)

callmebill (1917294) | more than 3 years ago | (#34334822)

With an Informative! These details were on a photo in TFA of a presentation:
General Information:
Launch time: APR 2011
Positioning: Provide a complete Android tabel with full HD media and web anywhere

Features:
Dual coe 1.0 Ghz processor with Flash 10.1 support for the fasted HD web experience and multimedia playback anywhere
The latest and the highly intuitive good android tablet os and acer UI 4.5 to reach a whole new level of interactivity
SMP rear-facing camera + HD front-facing camera for vide, video chat, quickly snapping a picture and uploading it to Facebook, YoTube, Picasa, and also for barcode scanning.
HDMI output to playback HD content on DFTV or Hi_Def montor for HD extensibility.

Industrial Design:
36[?] design ensure optimal on-screen experience for every angle.
Aluminum...provide a ... tactile sensation..anodized....decorated with engraved textures...sophis

The real story? (3, Informative)

earlymon (1116185) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335086)

I don't know that Acer rules any roost, so I think the point of this story is that tablets are getting bigger, more powerful and hopefully, as implied by the Acer name - cheaper.

So far as I can tell, the big winner here is the 10" screen - using tired old LCD tech.

Personally, I think where tablets lose is the display (not e-ink) and for those that may be interested, there's an Android tablet on the horizon with Pixel Qi tech and Qualcomm's Mirasol is also something to know about:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/11/05/pixel-qi-powered-notion-ink-adam-android-tablet-in-time-for-the-holidays/ [gottabemobile.com]

For some other tablet alternatives - http://www.anythingbutipad.com/ [anythingbutipad.com]

(I got nothing against the iPad, that's just a halfway decent site for a tablet alternative.)

My 2 cents on tablet ownership would be - match your OS to your cell phone if you can because it makes your transition from one device to another smoother and tablets should be all about ease of use. In that sense, Acer's move to offer these things in Androids and Windows shows real insight on their part (and no sad surprise - no Linux out of the box, again).

I'm OS agnostic and believe in the right OS for the job, fwiw.

Re:The real story? (1)

butalearner (1235200) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335782)

They don't rule, per se, but as the second largest PC manufacturer behind HP (they leapfrogged over Dell with the netbook craze), they certainly are a force. It's also very nice to know they are back on board with giving a non-Windows OS a try. I bought their first netbook with a horrible version of Linux on it (it is happy as can be running Ubuntu 10.10 now), but of course when it didn't do as well they axed the Linux line and went Windows-only. They were also one of the manufacturers that pointedly ignored producing ARM laptops for the same reason.

Lousey battery life (1)

rahvin112 (446269) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335102)

So Tegra 2 Powered means the Battery life is what like 2 hours? No tablet will be successful with small battery life. The only way to get a successful android tablet is to at least match IMAXI er IPAD battery life.

No USB ? Dickheads (1)

Latinhypercube (935707) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335138)

No USB ? Dickheads. Just a proprietary keyboard port, because no body has spare usb keyboards lying around right.... Fools. You'd think Apple is paying these dipshits to fuck their designs up.

Re:No USB ? Dickheads (1)

earlymon (1116185) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335186)

USB would give quickly allow access to USB-based devices like hard drives and burners - the apps would come.

I think the manufacturers are simply walling things in to protect their low-end laptops.

If true, I'd point the finger for the USB design shortfall at marketing and management, not R&D, fwiw.

Re:No USB, are you sure? (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335540)

I think I've read about 4-5 articles, plus the press release, and it doesn't say that there is no USB terminal, or that it won't have one when it ships in (February/April) 2011. There are a lot of specs left out, and they (Acer) seemed very careful to show as little as possible about the tablet.

Except for the existence and likely delivery date, I'm guessing that a lot is subject to change.

Can you write on them like a piece of paper? (1)

maillemaker (924053) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335194)

What I want to know about these tablets is: Can I write on them with a stylus and get results like writing in a notebook?

Re:Can you write on them like a piece of paper? (1)

darthdavid (835069) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335398)

Not with current gen capacitive touch-screens...

Re:Can you write on them like a piece of paper? (1)

Marcika (1003625) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336374)

Apparently yes, but you need a special iAccessory that simulates a finger [hardwaresphere.com] .

Read the memo again (4, Funny)

paiute (550198) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335212)

Please in the future stick to the style manual: any headline about a tablet has to include the words "iPad killer". See the previous memo about mp3 players.

If you want to be an early adopter (3, Informative)

Fnkmaster (89084) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335224)

Buy the Viewsonic G Tablet now. The software sucks, but there are already several custom ROMs available - a port of CyanogenMod 6.1 (beta), ZPad, and TnT Lite - just check out the XDA Developers forums for all your ROM needs. It has a Tegra 2, 10" capacitive touch screen and has home/search/back/menu buttons like a proper Android device.

It runs Market and gets almost every app after applying the Market fix, all the Android games I've tried run great, YouTube is great for dumb video content in a pinch, my K-9mail push IMAP mail is there, contact sync and calendar sync with Google works, and it plays downloaded video content just fine (I haven't experimented with HD content yet - I don't really see the point on a tablet device). I like the Aldiko and Kindle e-readers and I read PDF ebooks with RepliGo Reader (better than the free Adobe Reader, IMO).

If, on the other hand, you want a tablet that works great out-of-the-box, without installing custom ROMs and recovery images, get an iPad. That's what my wife has. There aren't any Android tablets that are there yet, and most likely won't be until Android officially supports them and will let the official Market ship with the device.

But for the Slashdot early adopter set, the G Tablet is a pretty cool option that you can pick up right now for under $400 at Sears or Staples.

Off-topic but related (1)

drgould (24404) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335376)

The Viewsonic G Tablet is out and available now at, for example, Sears [sears.com] for $400.

Decent specs; 10" screen, 1GHz Tegra 2 processor, 512MB RAM, 16GB flash, Android 2.2.

My impression from reading the reviews is that the hardware is decent but the software needs a little work, probably because it's just been released. If you can put some effort into tweaking it you can end up with a decent tablet, or you can wait 6 months and hopefully let Viewsonic iron out the wrinkles.

Archos 10.1 (1)

Gothmolly (148874) | more than 3 years ago | (#34335762)

Why not the Archos 10 inch, which runs Android 2.2, weighs less than an iPad, and is buyable now?

WiFi only version PLEASE!!!! (1)

bemenaker (852000) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336114)

If they make a wifi only version I'll buy it. I hope they do. If I have to buy another cell plan, then I won't own one.

Misread the title (2, Funny)

MarkGriz (520778) | more than 3 years ago | (#34336378)

Thought this was another TSA patdown story.